Munich’s second oldest restaurant. Though it hasn’t always been known by its
A restaurant has always been a place to come together and socialise. And Donisl is just that. For over 300 years, Munich residents and tourists from around the world have been flocking here to enjoy food, drink and, of course, good conversation in a cosy setting.
Discover more about Donisl’s history and join us in shaping the future of Munich’s second oldest restaurant.
1715 | Grand opening of Bierwirtschaft am Markt
The building’s history in Munich’s Weinstraße reaches back to 1315. Originally, it was built as a grain measurer’s house. In 1715, Max List opened his Bierwirtschaft am Markt (pub on the market), making Donisl home of the second oldest restaurant in Munich.
1760 – 1775 | Dionysius Haertl takes
over the pub
A new leaseholder, Dionysius Haertl, steps in and also gives the traditional restaurant a new name: Donisl – Zur alten Hauptwache (At the old main guard).
1885 | Brewery owner Georg Pschorr
buys the property
Pschorr purchases the building in 1885 and integrates it into the holdings of
the Pschorr Brewery, he comprehensively modernises it. Doing so helps keep the
restaurant a popular meeting point in Munich’s old town.
1945 | Destruction, reconstruction
and resurrection (alternative: its heyday)
In World War
II, the building in the Weinstraße 1 was completely destroyed. Reconstruction
took place in the 50s. From 1985 to 2012, the Wildmoser family runs Donisl and
is committed to it with heart and soul. It keeps alive the century-old
restaurant, making it in tune with the times while still maintaining its
reputation as a quintessential traditional restaurant in Munich.
2011 | Investment in a historical
The building's owner, the company “Bayerische Hausbau” and the Hacker-Pschorr Brewery,
make a conscious decision in 2011 to preserve the culinary tradition in the
building. Both partners view doing so as personally important as well as an
obligation to the city of Munich, their hometown.
2012 | New construction around old façade
are set: the distinctive façade with paintings by the artist Max Lachner and
the Löwenstein relief by Marlene Neubauer-Woerner remain intact while the rest
of the building is completely rebuilt. A logistical challenge given its
location at the heart of Munich’s old town.
2013 | Restoration begins
of the building begins by removing all furnishings and equipment. This is
followed by demolition of the obsolete building material
2015 | Reopening